Tuesday, May 31, 2016

                                                                  
                                                                        Weeping

Not long ago I told some friends that I get a little weepy when I think about retirement.  And then last weekend a High School Senior mentioned the same thing to me about graduating.  It reminded me that a lot of people have moments like this.       

As a child, my dad simply stated that “boys don’t cry after the age of 7.”  So I grew up feeling embarrassed when something made me tear up. Eventually I understood that my dad was wrong about weeping. Shedding tears is simply human.

We know that Jesus wept too.  He wept over the city of Jerusalem when He foresaw its destruction. (Luke 19:41-44)  His emotions ran especially deep because He knew He was also going to die in Jerusalem.  Jesus was as human as we are. 

Jesus also wept at the death of His friend Lazarus. (John 11:35)  And we learn that Martha and Mary comforted Jesus when He was overcome by that emotion.  Jesus not only wept but He also needed comfort.      

Remember a time when you were a little weepy.  What brought on the tears?  Who comforted you?  Then remember this: Jesus understands tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment