Tuesday, November 1, 2016


                                                            Whose Child Are You?

On this All Saints Day, I remember Servant of God Augustus Tolton, whose burial site I visited last July.*  His parents were slaves in Missouri.  After the death of her husband, his mom escaped slavery with her children.  They ended up in Quincy Illinois.  Augustus became the first black priest in the USA.  It wasn't easy.  He suffered prejudice until the day he died. 

Today’s second reading is: 1 John 3:1-3.  Verse 1 is: “See what love the Father has…that we may be called children of God.”  What does it mean to be God’s child? 

Augustus took after his parents because he had the faith and spunk they had.  With those qualities he became a priest in the face of great odds.  But he was God’s child too. He inherited God’s quality of righteousness in the face of ongoing rejection. 

How do you take after your parents?  I look like my dad and I enjoy traveling as much as my dad did. And I have my mom’s tender heart and I’m also ‘careful with a dollar’.  (My friends sometimes call me ‘cheap’. Thanks mom!!J)

As God’s child, how do you take after God? I have a gift of creativity and sometimes I can read hearts too. I think those things come from God.

Take time to think about being both God’s child and your parents’ child.    

*see Previous Blog - Tuesday August 2, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment