Thursday, August 8, 2019

                                            Our Treasures and Our Hearts

In this coming weekend’s Gospel, Jesus says ”Where your treasure is, there also will your heart be.”  (Lk 12:34) I just returned from a three-day mini-vacation with my sister. In recent years we’ve planned a summer outing to catch up on family stuff and talk about things that matter in our lives. 

Time like this, spent with my sister, is a real treasure. 

Over coffee on the last day I told my sister how I see God in her. She’s a very loving person, always the first one to express support for someone facing trouble. She has a really tender heart.

I think that’s the first time I’ve ever told anyone how I see God in him/her. Have you ever said that to anyone?

What/who are the treasures of your heart? In whom or in what can you see God’s presence?

God is in everyone and everything that God has made. God is in our churches, in our homes, on our streets and in the poor. It’s just that we don’t look deep enough or behind the masks that we and others wear.  Remember: Where our treasures are, there also will our hearts be.

Footnote: August 10th is the feast of St. Lawrence. According to legend, the Roman Prefect ordered St. Lawrence to produce the wealth of the church in 3 days. So he gathered the poor, the sick, the widows and the orphans and he told the prefect “These are the treasures of the Church!” 

No comments:

Post a Comment