Tuesday, August 1, 2017


                                                   Hidden Treasures

“The kingdom of God is like a treasure buried in a field, which a person finds and hides again, and out of joy goes and sells all he has and buys that field.” (Mt 13:44)

In his commentary on this parable, Bishop Sklba says that parables are normally about God. And he suggests that this parable may point out that God hides treasures for us to discover.* Where does God bury them?  My guess is that they’re buried in our hearts. 

That helps me explain the recent discovery of some self-love, which was hidden in my heart for as long as I can remember.  Growing up with a negative self-image, led me to a variety of insecurities and ways to put myself down.  With the help of a good spiritual director and some trusted friends, I’ve finally uncovered the treasure of self-love. 

It makes a huge difference.  It clearly affects the way that I love my neighbors.

Are there some treasures hidden in your heart?  What could those treasures be and who could help you find them?  Take some time to think about this…and then…start digging! 

*Bishop Sklba’s commentary is found on page 294 of “Fire Starters”.

No comments:

Post a Comment