Tuesday, October 9, 2018


                                                                       Muslims
                                                         (Morocco Reflection no. 3)

Morocco is more than 99% Muslim.  Until this trip, I’ve never really talked to a Muslim.  But the following conversation changed that. 

We were in an ancient building getting info from a local guide. 10 days into our trip, I was tired of looking at buildings. So when the guide invited us to walk around the site, all I wanted to do was find a place to sit down.  I spotted a bench where one man sat.

Unsure of his language, I hesitantly asked if I could sit down. He said: “Yes…please join me.”  I complemented his English. He said: “I have to speak it well. I’m a tour guide.” We both smiled.

He asked what I did and I said: “I’m a Catholic Priest.” It was as if he was waiting for a moment like this. He quickly replied: “The problem with religion is that we have too many extremists. We need more normal people with moderate voices.” “Yes”, I clearly agreed. 

Then I told him the one thing I knew about the Koran: “It has more verses about Jesus’ mother Mary than the Bible does.”  He smiled and said:  “Yes, and Miriam (Mary) is the most common name for Muslim women.” What an interesting connection!

His tour group gathered round us.  We stood, hugged, and exchanged names. We agreed to pray for each other. He’s the only Muslim on my prayer list.  I won’t forget him.    

Think about a conversation you’ve had with someone that you’ll never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment