Tuesday, October 23, 2018


                                                          

                                                      Do You Listen to God? 

Last weekend we heard the aftermath of Jesus’ 3rd prediction of His suffering, dying and rising. (Mark 10:33-45)  And right after that, James and John ask Jesus if they can sit on His right and left sides when He comes into His kingdom. 

After the 1st prediction of His suffering and dying, Peter ‘rebukes’ Jesus for saying such a thing. To which Jesus responds: “Get behind me Satan!” (Mark 8:31-33)

And in the light of the 2nd prediction, Jesus discovers that while He was talking, the disciples were arguing about which one of them was the greatest. (Mark 9:30-34)

You might ask: What’s wrong with these Disciples?

I think they simply didn’t ‘hear’ what Jesus said, because they were too focused on their own issues. If they really heard Him, wouldn’t they have shown some shock or compassion?
   
Do we listen to what Jesus wants to tell us?  Or are we so preoccupied with our own issues that we don’t even ask Him what He might want to say to us?
Honestly…that happens to me almost all the time!
    
So my new-found daily remedy is to ask Jesus to tell me what He wants me to hear.  And then I shut up for 10 minutes and try to listen to Him. It seems to work. Give it a try.   

No comments:

Post a Comment