Tuesday, July 24, 2018



                                             Come…and Rest a While (Mk 6:31a)

This is a blog about taking naps. God did it on the 7th day of creation.  Jesus did it quite frequently when He went away by Himself for to pray and rest.  Pope Francis does it almost every afternoon when he goes to his chapel after lunch and spends 10-15 minutes praying and then another 10-15 minutes taking a little nap.   And he says St. Therese did it too. 

I do it almost every Saturday morning when the pressure is on to pull together the threads of a weekend homily.  By that point I have too many ideas. And I’m at wit’s end to edit, discard, add, coordinate or start over.  So I settle into my recliner and I bring the mess of ideas forward and take a little nap. About  10 minutes. 

Almost always when I wake up, things have gelled.  It may not result in a good homily, but I’ve narrowed the options and have a clearer focus. It settles me. I call it a ‘holy nap’.

So, with my expertise in ‘napping’, I’ve written up a document called: “Directions for Taking a Holy Nap”.  That document is also attached to today’s new post message.  If you try taking a ‘Holy Nap’, let me know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment