Tuesday, July 17, 2018



                                                                      Baggage

A backpack filled with a bunch of books.  Another backpack filled with clothes.  A plastic bag with toiletries and an extra pair of shoes. My computer.  A small plastic bag with snacks for the journey.  This is a list of baggage I stuffed into my car for a recent trip to Ann Arbor Michigan where I met my sister for a 3 day vacation.

‘Embarrassed’ is the best word to describe my reaction to a sentence in last Sunday’s Gospel. (Mk 6:7-13)  “Jesus summoned the twelve and sent them out two by two”…”He instructed them to take nothing on their journey except a walking stick – no food” (I think that means no snacks) “no traveling bag” (I think that means no backpacks or computer case)…”Do not bring a second tunic.” I think that means that 4 shirts were too many!!!

Why did I take so much luggage?  Do you take too much baggage too? Why?

And then, of course, there’s more to the story about my baggage.  My baggage also includes my dispositions, my moods, my prejudices, my anxieties, my insecurities, etc.

If I traveled this week I’d take less stuff and less personal baggage too.  Make a list of ‘stuff’ and ‘personal baggage’ that you’d leave behind on your next journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment