Tuesday, May 8, 2018



                                                      “I Call You Friends” - 2
                                                                (John 15:15)
 
Most Fridays Fr. Javier Guativa and I bounce ideas off each other for our weekend homily. We start by looking for a common theme.  Last week we found it in Jesus’ calling us ‘friends’.  So we developed a list of characteristics of good friendships. Here are some of them.    

Good friends want the best for us.  Good friends enjoy each other’s company. They are people we can count on.  Good friends accept us as we are and forgive our mistakes.  They also bring us joy.  Good friends laugh a lot and good-naturedly tease each other.

Most of those descriptions apply to our friendships with Jesus, except the one about laughing and good-natured teasing. But…maybe that should fit too.     

So I tested it out.  The next day in an imaginative contemplation, I asked Jesus what He sees in me that makes Him laugh or smile.  In about 3 seconds I knew the answer. He laughs every time I give a Culver’s card away at mass for the right answer to a homily question!  It makes me smile just thinking about it.  And that adds a new dimension to our friendship.

So I’ll make it a regular part of my prayer…realizing that every day I probably do or say something that makes Jesus smile or laugh.

Take 5 minutes and ask Jesus what he sees in you that makes Him laugh or smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment