Tuesday, May 2, 2017


                                         Listening with Love to Someone’s Story

On the road to Emmaus two disciples are walking away from Jerusalem, leaving behind their community and their hopes in Jesus.  As they travel that road, Jesus appears as a stranger and walks with them.  After asking them what they are talking about, they give Him a blow by blow account of Jesus’ arrest, crucifixion, death on a cross and the empty tomb.  

Jesus, the stranger, listens with love to their whole story.  Only then does He explain the scriptures which describe the messiah and the new life he will bring.  He stirs hope in the disciples and they welcome the stranger to dinner. Finally, in the breaking of the bread, they realize that the stranger is Jesus, who is alive!   

Telling our stories and being listened to is key to true human and divine love. 

Here’s a truth about me.  I’m good at listening to someone’s story…for a while.  But  then I start thinking of my own story...not paying such close attention to my friend any more. And I often start telling my story before my friend is done telling his.  I wish I didn’t do that.

How good are you at listening to people’s stories?

No comments:

Post a Comment