Tuesday, June 12, 2018



                                                            The Suicides

Two notable Americans committed suicide last week: Kate Spade, a fashion designer and Anthony Bourdain, a famous chef and world traveler.  Spade suffered from depression for many years. So her decision wasn’t completely surprising. But Bourdain’s decision left people stunned.
    
Suicide is on the rise. I’ve also read that the incidence of suicide often increases after the suicides of famous people. I hope that doesn’t happen now. 
     
One commentator on Spade’s decision said “many people carry secrets around with them, things they simply don’t share.  On their faces we don’t see their heavy hearts.”  The deadly serious conclusion of that commentator was:  “Be kind.” That’s always good advice.

Almost 30 years ago I sought a Spiritual Director.  Like most people, I had struggles and memories that I held within.  I never really considered suicide.  But I knew I had to talk to someone who could help me sort things out, so I could become spiritually and emotionally healthier.

There is a spiritual side of every person God has made.
       
I can’t help but think that people who are suicidal might benefit from looking at the spiritual side of themselves with someone who can guide them. Who helps you be spiritually and emotionally healthy?       

No comments:

Post a Comment