Wednesday, April 18, 2018



                                                                 Spiritual DNA

Last year I received a gift certificate to do a DNA search through Ancestry.com.  I assumed my DNA would show my strong German background…having 3 German grandparents. To my surprise it was my Polish grandfather’s DNA that dominated my profile. In hindsight that makes sense to me.  I look very much like him.  And our personalities are similar too.       

Recently I chose the text of 1 John 3:1-2 as a reading for a funeral.  That text begins with this sentence: “See what love the Father has bestowed on us that we may be called the children of God.”  And that got me thinking about something I’d call spiritual ‘DNA’. 

What qualities have we inherited from God our creator? How are we God-like?

In the instance of that funeral homily, I mentioned the deceased’s 'tender heart', 'playful spirit' and 'love for the natural world' as his God-like qualities.  

Take a few minutes to think about God-like qualities that are embedded in your spiritual DNA.  What qualities have you inherited from God?  Think of a person you love.  What God-like qualities do you see in him or her?  Tell that person what you see of God in him or her.     

No comments:

Post a Comment