Tuesday, October 24, 2017


                                               Tending the Holy

I attended a special prayer service at Sacred Heart Parish on a recent Friday night.  A wonderful atmosphere arose from good readings and the repetitive, moving music of Taize. This refrain still haunts me: ”Sacred is the call, awesome indeed the entrustment: tending the holy, tending the holy.”

What does it mean to tend the holy? 

Maybe we tend the holy when we stoke the fire of the Holy One within. Or maybe we tend the holy by simply sitting silently, muting all our inner chatter.    

Or maybe we tend the holy when we help the man with the flat tire or hug the woman who mourns her husband or lend money to the one whose pension is spent.

On a plane ride home from Israel I think I tended the holy when I held the fussy baby whose mom went to the restroom. What a surprise that was for me.   

How have you recently ‘tended the holy’?

No comments:

Post a Comment